-ery or-ry, suffix.
-ery or -ry is used to form nouns that refer to
- things in a collection:
- green + -ery → greenery (= green plants as a group);
- machine + -ery → machinery (= a group or collection of machines).
- people in a collection:
- Jew + -ry → Jewry (= Jews as a group);
- peasant + -ry → peasantry (= peasants as a group).
- an occupation, activity, or condition:
- dentist + -ry → dentistry (= occupation of a dentist);
- rival + -ry → rivalry (= condition of being a rival);
rob + -ery → robbery (= activity of robbing or being robbed)
-ery is also used to form nouns that refer to a place where the activity of the root is done:
bake + -ery →bakery (= place where baking is done);
wine + -ery → winery (= place where wine is made).
WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2020
a suffix of nouns denoting occupation, business, calling or condition, place or establishment, goods or products, things collectively, qualities, actions, etc.:
- Old French -erie, equivalent. to -ier -er2 + -ie -y3
- Middle English
Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
suffix forming nouns
- indicating a place of business or some other activity: bakery, brewery, refinery
- indicating a class or collection of things: cutlery, greenery
- indicating qualities or actions collectively: snobbery, trickery
- indicating a practice or occupation: husbandry
- indicating a state or condition: slavery
Etymology: from Old French -erie; see -er1, -y³
‘-ery‘ also found in these entries:
-ry – American Antislavery Society – Bowery – Chinese cabbage – ad hockery – antimachinery – antipopery – apery – armory – artillery – baboonery – bakery – ballerina – baptistery – barratry – battery – bawdry – beanery – bewitch – bijouterie – bindery – bitchery – bleachery – bloomery – boiserie – bootery – botch – bowery – brasserie – bravery – breech delivery – brewery – bribery – brier – buttery – cajolery – camaraderie – cannery – carvery – cash on delivery – catchpole – cattery – causerie – celery cabbage – celery salt – chantry – charcuterie – chicanery – chinoiserie – chirurgery